Noxious Weed Mapping with WeedMap Pro
Noxious weeds are detrimental to the Australian economy and natural environment. The damage bill for Australian agriculture is estimated at $4 billion a year. Pest animals also negatively impact on the economic and environmental sustainability. Impacting the ecosystem and reducing profitability for Australia’s primary producers. At the same time threatening human and animal health.
In New South Wales the need for affordable Noxious Weed Control, Pest and Environmental Management software was evident. Iconyx worked with Council’s and land managers across the region and throughout Australia to develop a noxious weed mapping solution.
A fantastic example of how a dedicated team, recognised the need and collaborated. Iconyx incorporated advanced spatial data management techniques. As well as solution design, application development, deployment, technical support case management, and customer engagement. In order to develop a powerful, user-friendly office and field-based solution to support Environmental Sustainability across large geographic regions.
As a result, WeedMap Pro was developed and deployed throughout the NSW.
Despite the challenges of initial geographical distance, Noxious Weeds Act legislation complexities, cultural acceptance and funding limitations. The result of the project has been hugely successful. The WeedMap Pro, noxious weed mapping solution had the added flexibility to be adapted to different data collection tasks internal and external projects.
Most importantly though, we were particularly proud to have brought such a powerful system to a client base who could never have afforded to develop, purchase or support.
- New South Wales Spatial Excellence Awards – Innovation and Commercialisation (2011)
- New South Wales Spatial Excellence Awards – Environmental Sustainability (2011)
- New South Wales Spatial Excellence Awards – Spatially Enabling Government (2011)
- Asia-Pacific Spatial Excellence Awards – Environmental Sustainability (2011)
- Asia-Pacific Spatial Excellence Awards – Spatially Enabling Government (2011)
- Asia-Pacific Spatial Excellence Awards – Innovation and Commercialisation (2011)